Through a collaborative partnership led by the Open Space Council, the Community Stewardship Alliance (CSA) is an exciting new conservation program intended to provide focused, trained, volunteer leadership to restore and maintain the natural areas within our St. Louis County Parks.
The goals of the program are to:
- Restore, protect and actively manage vulnerable natural areas to maintain and enhance the St. Louis region’s biodiversity and ecosystem services provided by our public lands;
- Foster regional partnerships between public land managers, community members and local organizations to align restoration efforts across priority natural areas;
- Adapt successful local and national stewardship models to develop a coordinated program for the St. Louis region to achieve standardization of restoration techniques, management plans, reporting, monitoring and communication;
- Empower community members to become leaders invested in their local parks.
Foundational to the Community Stewardship Alliance is Site Ambassadors. Site Ambassadors are dedicated and trained volunteers who serve as the backbone of the Community Stewardship Alliance. They build a community of stewardship around the county parks’ natural areas to safeguard their future. Site Ambassadors commit to stewarding a specific park in collaboration with the CSA partners. Site Ambassadors oversee the management of a natural area, working with the CSA partners and parks staff to meet the goals listed in their restoration management plans. Site Ambassadors recruit local volunteers and schedule workdays to help achieve those goals and are provided ongoing support through CSA partners and the ability to network with other CSA Site Ambassadors.
- Creve Coeur Lake Memorial Park
- St. Vincent County Park
- Lower Meramec Park
To find out more about becoming a Volunteer for one of these parks and an essential supporter to our dedicated Site Ambassadors. Watch our January 8, 2021, virtual Site Ambassador Orientation session here.
To attend a CSA volunteer workday, please visit our Volunteer page for current listings. To learn more about how you can become a part of a CSA team, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Community Stewardship Alliance partners are Forest ReLeaf of Missouri, Great Rivers Greenway District, Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Department of Conservation, Missouri Master Naturalists Great Rivers Chapter, the Open Space Council for the St. Louis Region, St. Louis Audubon Society, St. Louis County Parks, and St. Louis County Parks Foundation.