Accepting Proposals for 2021 CPA Services
The Open Space Council for the St. Louis Region is accepting proposals from CPA firms to provide tax and audit services for our organization in the future. We invite firms to submit a proposal to us by February 21, 2021, for consideration. A description of our organization, the services needed, and other pertinent information follows:
Background of the Open Space Council for the St. Louis Region
Founded in 1965, The Open Space Council (OSC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to conserve and sustain land, water and other natural resources throughout the St. Louis region. Annual revenues are between $125,000 – $190,000 per year; the organization employs 2-4 people in one location; and has a 25-member board of directors. The organization is funded through private membership donations, corporate sponsorships, fundraising events, and grants from Foundations and government agencies. The organization has a December 31 fiscal year end, with a requirement to submit the financial statements and form 990 to the board of directors by August 30 and to the IRS by November 15 each year (subject to requesting an extension to file).
Services to Be Performed
Your proposal is expected to cover the following services:
1) The preparation of the financial statements of the Open Space Council for the St. Louis Region, which comprise the statement of financial position as of December 31 and the related statements of activities, functional expenses, and cash flows for the year then ended, and the related notes to the financial statements, and perform a review engagement with respect to those financial statements.
2) Prepare the Federal Form 990 Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax and prepare any bookkeeping entries that are found necessary in connection with preparation of the information return. The objective of the tax services portion of the engagement is to prepare the tax returns in accordance with Statements on Standards for Tax Services issued by the AICPA and comply with the AICPA’s Code of Professional Conduct, including the ethical principles of integrity, objectivity, professional competence, and due care.
Following are key contacts for information you may seek in preparing your proposal:
➢ Bonnie Harper, Executive Director (314) 835-9225
➢ Hal Davies, Treasurer (314) 662-1144
Requests for additional information, visits to our site, review of prior financial statements and tax returns, and/or appointments with the executive director or Treasurer should be coordinated through Bonnie Harper. You may reach her at the number listed above. Please return the completed proposal to email@example.com.
Your Response to This Request for Proposal
In responding to this request, we request the following information:
- Detail your firm’s experience in providing auditing and tax services to organizations of similar size in the not-for-profit sector.
- Discuss the firm’s independence with respect to the Open Space Council for the St. Louis Region.
- Identify the partner, manager, and/or other staff that will be assigned to our job if you are successful in your bid, and provide years of experience and years with your firm. Discuss commitments you will make to staff continuity, including your staff turnover experience.
- Indicate any complaints against the firm or staff that have been leveled by the state board of accountancy or other regulatory authority, if any, and any corrective actions that have been taken by the firm.
- Discuss the communication process used by the firm to discuss issues with the management and financial committees of the board.
- Set forth your fee proposal for the 2020 financial statement preparation and tax services, with whatever guarantees can be given regarding increases in future years.
- Furnish standard billing rates for classes of professional personnel for each of the last three years.
- Provide the names and contact information for two similarly sized clients for reference purposes.
- Tell us why our selection of your firm as our independent accountants is the best decision we could make.
- Include a copy of your firm’s most recent peer review report, the related letter of comments, and the firm’s response to the letter of comments.
Please submit your response to this request for proposal by February 21, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most recent Financial Statement and Form 990.
Download this Request for Proposal for CPA Services Letter as a PDF here: 2021 RFP for CPA services.